Product Design : Automotive BIW
Course Structure Description
• Automotive BIW (Body in White) has a prime importance in reflecting the character and performance of the vehicle.
• Automobile industry need an expertise that can help them with innovative light weight designs.
• This course will help students stand as an Automotive Body Design Experts.
• Students at an early stage of engineering analysis career.
• Students from engineering disciplines like- Mechanical, Automotive, Industrial and Production.
• Third year students from above profession can also go for this course.
1. Automotive Basics:
• Classification, types, assembly and sub-assembly etc.
2. Automotive body Basics:
• Customer expectations, Branding, Specification, Major functions, Ergonomics etc.
• Evolution, Different types of constructions, Benchmarking etc.
• Material – Specifications, Selection, Database search, manufacturing processes etc.
3. NPI & Auto BIW Development
• Overview of Vehicle design program, Interior designing milestones, role and responsibilities of team.
• Interior BOM, Subsystems & Part nomenclature.
• Design Process for complex depression, flange, beads, dart, & bow Packaging data, Kinematics, Costing, Fit and Finish.
4. DFM, DFA, DFMEA, Quality Standards, DFR
5. Manufacturing Processes
• Die designing
6. CAD, GD&T (3DCS, CETOL tolerance analysis)
• Model Preparation from IGES, from Class A surface, Missing surface & Draft.
• CAE analysis for strength and stiffness
7. Six Sigma (Theory & application)
• DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) Six Sigma Program
• Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)
8. VA/VE, & PLM Overview
9. Soft skills, Employability enhancement
• Communication skills, Time Mgt, Project Mgt, Quality Standards, MS office, Interview Skills, etc.